Moving away from reporting to RH bugzilla and adopting pure upstream reporting mantra.

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 18:35:46 UTC 2013

On 09/24/2013 03:48 PM, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 09:46:51AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> >
>> >So from my point of view we wont be gathering reports from novices
>> >end users in 10 years time.
> This is a plain self-fulfilling prophecy.  If you will manage to kill
> report gathering means then indeed you will have no reports; from novice
> users in particular.
>
> While bugzilla is far from perfect and it can be frustrating at times
> a "solution" you are pushing does not even start to pass a laugh test.

Really...

Let's run a simple query against bugzilla for bugs in the status NEW  (
as in not looked at ) and find out the oldest report from our reporters
for the soon to be EOL released F18 which should have the longest time
maintainers could have responded bugs filed by reporters.

The oldest bug was filed by Stef Walter <mailto:stefw at redhat.com>on
2012-08-15 against binutils with total of 7205 bugs found. ( You can
multiple that number by half an hour at least of reporters time )

Now let's look at the gory details of EOL bugs closed wontfix running [2]

8031 bugs found.

Do you honestly think this is a) healthy b) constructive for new
reporters ( which usually leave after waiting up to 13 months having
their bug fixed or in the case of the above over a year for somekind of
feedback from the maintainer )

I would think the highest priority from a QA perspective is to both
report and actually get the highest chances of having the bugs fixed as
well as receiving some kind of feed back from the maintainer while
reporters are at it.

JBG

1.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&classification=Fedora&limit=0&list_id=1738567&order=changeddate%2Cbug_id&product=Fedora&query_based_on=&query_format=advanced&version=18

2.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?bug_status=CLOSED&classification=Fedora&email2=endoflife%40fedoraproject.org&emaillongdesc2=1&emailtype2=substring&limit=0&list_id=1738569&order=changeddate%2Cbug_id&product=Fedora&query_format=advanced&resolution=WONTFIX&version=17

ps.

Here's an exercise for the reader find out how many got fixed in F17 (
for the shocking truth )