gnome settings unexpected values

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Sep 25 16:11:25 UTC 2013

On Sep 25, 2013, at 12:00 AM, Igor Gnatenko <i.gnatenko.brain at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-09-24 at 23:11 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3253801/IMG_20130924_185026.jpg
>>
>> Settings>System: Details
>>
>> a. Device name is showing hostnamectl transient name, not static name. I just tried this in F19 and it shows the static name. So this seems backwards now with Gnome 3.9.
> How to reproduce ?

Baremetal:
hostnamectl set-hostname f20s.localdomain --static
hostnamectl set-hostname oldmac.localdomain --transient

On every boot, Gnome says the Device name is oldmac.localdomain. On a VM of F19, Gnome uses f19s.localdomain rather than vbox.localdomain.

Actually I probably ought to ask which of these even ought to be set. I find the idea of static, pretty and transient hostnames thoroughly confusing. I'm not setting a pretty hostname, btw.

Chris Murphy