gnome settings unexpected values

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Sep 25 16:48:22 UTC 2013

On 09/25/2013 09:11 AM, Chris Murphy issued this missive:

> On Sep 25, 2013, at 12:00 AM, Igor Gnatenko <i.gnatenko.brain at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2013-09-24 at 23:11 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3253801/IMG_20130924_185026.jpg
>>>
>>> Settings>System: Details
>>>
>>> a. Device name is showing hostnamectl transient name, not static name. I just tried this in F19 and it shows the static name. So this seems backwards now with Gnome 3.9.
>> How to reproduce ?
>
> Baremetal:
> hostnamectl set-hostname f20s.localdomain --static
> hostnamectl set-hostname oldmac.localdomain --transient
>
> On every boot, Gnome says the Device name is oldmac.localdomain. On a VM of F19, Gnome uses f19s.localdomain rather than vbox.localdomain.
>
> Actually I probably ought to ask which of these even ought to be set. I find the idea of static, pretty and transient hostnames thoroughly confusing. I'm not setting a pretty hostname, btw.

The commands should be:

	hostnamectl --static set-hostname f20s.localdomain
	hostnamectl --transient set-hostname oldmac.localdomain

Not sure what happens if you place the options after the commands. The
default is to set ALL hostnames to that specified so if the command is
ignoring the option (because it's at the end), the last "hostnamectl"
command you specified (in this case, oldmac.localdomain) becomes the
pretty, transient AND static name. More or less what you're seeing.

You should also check /etc/hosts to see if there's an entry in there for
127.0.0.1 referring to oldmac.localdomain. Also keep in mind that a
number of the utilities do reverse DNS lookups instead of using the
hostname bits so you may be seeing a DNS artifact here.
-   "Do you suffer from long-term memory loss?"  "I don't remember"  -
-                            -- Chumbawumba, "Amnesia" (TubThumping) -