A different way of installing Fedora

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 26 01:32:29 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 06:13:48PM -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX wrote:
> I don't know enough about Fedora installation to know what,
> if any, processor related optimizations are made in the install
> instead of boot time.

This is perfectly fine and will work, with one big exception -- by default,
we only make an initrd that fits the initial system, which means you might
not have all of the drivers you need. You can either reconfigure dracut to
generate a generic initramfs, or you can simply boot into the rescue image
that's generated on install and repair from there.

There's no install-time tuning and it's a general ideal for the system to be
as "stateless" as possible, because this makes administration much easier.

All of this becomes very important with virtualization, where it's very
common to migrate systems to not-identical virtual hardware.