A different way of installing Fedora

Gavin Flower GavinFlower at archidevsys.co.nz
Thu Sep 26 04:23:01 UTC 2013

On 26/09/13 15:53, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 09/25/2013 06:13 PM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX wrote:
>> My concern is wether this procedure results in a kernel that is
>> less optimized for the CPU it is running on than if Fedora had
>> been installed directly on that machine.
>>
>> I don't know enough about Fedora installation to know what,
>> if any, processor related optimizations are made in the install
>> instead of boot time.
>>
> I don't think it makes any difference now.  Years ago (not sure how
> many), there was both the 386 and 686 kernels and that was decided by
> the installer.  Now, the only possible difference if you aren't
> installing 64-bit is whether you get the PAE kernel or not.  And I
> don't know how that's decided or even if there is a choice.
There also used to be a distinction between kernels compiled for a
single core processor and ones for a machine with multiple cores -
though at that time (AFAIR) CPU chips normally had only one core, so we
are talking about motherboards with slots for 2 or more CPU chips.
Also, I think they were all 32 bit, at least the ones I might be able to
afford....

Cheers,
Gavin