Hwisenbug NFS FLAG DAY

J. Bruce Fields bfields at redhat.com
Thu Sep 26 18:02:12 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 07:51:35PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-09-24 at 16:58 -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX wrote:

> > > If you edit the RPCNFSDARGS line in /etc/sysconfig/nfs line to
> > >
> > > 	RPCNFSDARGS='-V2'
> > >
> > > and restart nfsd, does the problem go away?
> > >
> > > I think v2 might have gotten turned off by default.
> > >
> > > NFSv3 came out nearly 20 years ago.  Sigh.
> > >
> > > --b.
> > That fixes it.   Why was the default changed?
>
> Because NFSv2 is older than frickin' Old MacDonald at this point, I
> guess?

Right.  We're considering shutting down v2 completely at some point, so
the first step was to turn it off by default and see if that affects
anyone.

I guess it does.

It'd be interesting to know if this was something critical or more of a
stunt?  ("How long can I keep this ancient machine running?")

I'm inclined to be conservative about turning off the old protocol, but
it is terribly old and there's an understandable desire to trim the test
matrix a bit....

--b.