MATE Desktop

Gavin Flower GavinFlower at archidevsys.co.nz
Thu Sep 26 19:38:48 UTC 2013

On 27/09/13 05:11, Marcus Leech wrote:
> I'm running MATE on F18, and find it is more pleasant than any of the
> Gnome 3 things.
>
> on Sep 26, 2013, *Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX* <caf at omen.com> wrote:
>
>     For those of use who were relatively happy with Gnome 2
>     and not quite satisfied with some of the alternatives, I
>     would suggest taking (another) look at MATE in Heisenbug.
>
>     The combination of Google Chromium, VLC, and MATE
>     has created a pleasant desktop environment that has
>     has reduced the amount of time I run Windows 7 on my
>     office machine.
>
>     Try it, YMMV.
>
>     --
>     Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX caf at omen.com <mailto:caf at omen.com>
>     www.omen.com <http://www.omen.com>
>     Developer of Industrial ZMODEM(Tm) for Embedded Applications
>     Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"
>     10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231 503-614-0430
>
>     --

I originally fled from GNOME 3 ("A triumph of Fashion over
Functionality") to xfce, from F17 I started using mate (though I started
looking at in F16).

I think mate should become the default desktop environment for Fedora.
Fedora should not be dumbing down the user experience, please leave that
to Apple & Microsoft.

If people want a brain dead desktop environment, they can always use
Microsoft Window 8 metro...  :-)

Cheers,
Gavin