A different way of installing Fedora

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX caf at omen.com
Fri Sep 27 22:44:49 UTC 2013

On 09/27/2013 01:43 PM, Gavin Flower wrote:
> On 28/09/13 05:18, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
>> On 09/27/2013 01:05 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>> On Fri, 2013-09-27 at 22:06 +1200, Gavin Flower wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>
>> I do find the 'who's been
>>> using computers longer?' competitions that seem to be ensuing on all
>>> sorts of lists lately a bit tiresome :)
>>>

>> Why tiresome?  It is a bit interesting.  Way better than some of the
>> vitriol showing up on the lists.  I remember programming a RemRand
>> steel drum memory computer using a teletype and punched paper tape.
>> I also remember seeing a U-2 in use running a single application
>> (civilian payroll) at a Navy facility.
>>
>> None used Fedora.
>>
> Yes,it great to find not everyone here is a "Johny-Come-Lately"! :-)
>
> Some people start programming young these days!  I'm coaching an 11
> year old in Java, he has his own Linux box.  He got into Java by
> himself when he was 10, despite neither of his parents being in IT.
> His mother is a friend of my wife's, and he suddenly phoned up in
> February asking if I could help him.  I have introduced him to
> PostgreSQL & SQL, and later I think I will also get him into C and
> other languages.  I was 18 before I had a chance to write programs - I
> think he will better than I ever was, before he is 18!
>

> Cheers,
> Gavin

First computer I ever laid eyes on was the duplex SAGE computer at Truax
Field in Madison.
An impressive beast indeed it was.

First computer I ever programmed was in the fall of 1962.  We submitted
our little Fortran programs
on coding sheets and gout our output (usually an abend) a few days later.

First computer I ever laid hands on was an IBM 1620.  First computer I
programmed in assembly
was a 4000 character IBM 1401 after my app was kiched off the 1620.

First computer I ever interfaced was a PDP-8s at Tektronix, about 1969.

First computer I designed was a 6800 based comms processor.  I designed
and programmed
its hardware development system as well.

And that wasn't the end of it.

--
      Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   caf at omen.com   www.omen.com