maintaining minimal

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 28 08:38:41 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-27 19:33 (GMT-0600) Orion Poplawski composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> I'm not having any luck figuring out how Yum can be limited to
>> installing only hard dependencies when any given package is installed,
>> avoiding "nice to have" things that take time to install and update that
>> I'll never use. If this is covered in the yum.conf man page I missed it.
>> In zypper's zypp.conf this is done via InstallRecommends = no. In
>> Mageia, --no-suggests is used with urpmi. How is it handled in Fedora?

> In Fedora, there are only hard dependencies - no suggests.

That statement in conjunction with behavior I've observed seems to indicate
hard dependencies have been created for what on other distros would be
suggests. e.g., 'yum install konsole' results in 1 package plus 190 dependent
packages to be installed, among them:

GConf2
cdparanoia-libs
5 gstreamers
libavc1394
libraw1394
libsmbclient
libssh
libvorbis
3 nepomuks
>40 perl packages
2 phonons
3 popplers
2 pulseaudios
sound-theme-freedesktop
soundtouch
speex
strigi
upower

yum install kcalc isn't quite so bad, 1 + 125, and yet it's ka ka that a
simple calculator needs qtwebkit, desktop search, firewire and sound support
installed.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/