A different way of installing Fedora

Gavin Flower GavinFlower at archidevsys.co.nz
Sat Sep 28 22:01:13 UTC 2013

On 29/09/13 10:10, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On 28 September 2013 08:39, Clyde E. Kunkel
> <clydekunkel7734 at verizon.net <mailto:clydekunkel7734 at verizon.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 09/27/2013 09:53 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>
>         On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 08:49:51PM -0500, dkrawchuk wrote:
>
>             I agree.  I find these digressions interesting and
>             informative.
>

>         They _really do_ keep coming up. What if we create a Fedora
>         Old-Timers list
>         for this kind of discussion? I'm not even kidding -- I'll join.
>

>     Interesting idea; however, "youngsters" probably would not join
>     and would therefor lose the benefit of our experience, not to
>     mention the enjoyment of our tall tales. :-)
>
>     --
>     Regards,
>     OldFart
>
>     --
>

> Put in a name of the list (#fedora-oldfarts is not going to be it),
> what the topics are (social communication of old time systems) and
> what the general rules are (people will talk about computers that are
> pre-1993 and what work was required to run them).
>
> and I will create a list.
> --
> Stephen J Smoogen.

Hi Stephen,

How about:
#fedora-ancient

Anything relating to computing 20 or more years ago.  Rather than
pre-1993: so in 2021, people can talk about anything up to 2001.

Not just for hardware & software, but also the changing culture & public
perceptions.

Also anything that compared 'modern day' with the 'old-days', would also
be valid, as well as which companies were dominant and why.

I think people should also be encouraged to discuss how they got into
computers, and what training & experience they thought was relevant -
even if this breaks the '20-year rule'!

Cheers,
Gavin