maintaining minimal

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 07:00:29 UTC 2013

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 10:50 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda at earthlink.net> wrote:
> In trying to find a way to reach a state similar to #2 using KDE instead of
> Gnome, I had tried installing several KDE apps individually to see what
> didn't seem to be required, since if trying to install all the apps I wanted
> at once I would have no chance of discerning what might be responsible for
> particular items of bloat. What I'd actually like is no more than is
> technically required by the DE to run what I need: Konsole, Konqueror,
> Ksnapshot, Kcalc and Mozilla-built binaries. It seems before writing here I
> should have tried such after adding the above listed intermediates, as the
> dep count plummeted.

A super-minimal KDE installation isn't really possible right now due
to the monolithic nature of the KDE libraries and runtime in KDE 4.

KDE Frameworks 5 aims to fix this, so it should be possible in the future:
http://dot.kde.org/2013/09/25/frameworks-5

If you're looking for a lightweight Qt-based desktop, check out
Razor-qt:
http://razor-qt.org/
or just `yum install razorqt`

-T.C.