[Test-Announce] Rawhide validation testing is now OPEN!

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Apr 10 22:25:19 UTC 2014

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on the initial proposal to do
optional installation and base validation testing for Rawhide nightly
builds.

I've revised the Installation validation page based on the feedback, and
added a similar Base validation page, and I think we can say we're now
open for business!

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Fedora_21_Rawhide_2014_04_Install
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Fedora_21_Rawhide_2014_04_Base

In case anyone missed the proposal: the idea is that we run some of our
usual release validation tests -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Installation_validation_testing ,
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Base_validation_testing - on the
nightly Rawhide builds. We get nightly live images, network install
images, and 'appliance' (ARM and Cloud) images these days.

This is *entirely optional* testing - no-one else is relying on us to do
this, no releases are being held up for it, so no-one needs to be
pulling any all-nighters. The idea is just to get a feel for where we
stand with the Fedora 21 codebase as we go along for the next few
months, and get the biggest showstopper bugs fixed, so we don't wind up
entering the Alpha milestone with a huge backlog of stuff to test and
fix.

The process should be much like it is for our usual milestone validation
testing, except you'll be grabbing Rawhide nightly images, not the TC/RC
images. The pages include the necessary links for getting those images,
but I'll include them here too:

* Nightly and 'appliance' images can be found from the snazzy new
Release Engineering dashboard:
https://apps.fedoraproject.org/releng-dash/

* The latest network install images are always at the same URLs:
** x86_64 -
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/x86_64/os/images/boot.iso
** i686 -
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/i386/os/images/boot.iso

The only other major difference is that you should include the date of
the image you tested in your result entry. The "Key" section of each
page has been edited to give examples of this, and I'll try to run a few
tests and add some sample entries tomorrow to give folks a feel for it.

The main aim here is to identify major bugs and showstoppers, so please
focus on those. It may not be the best idea to file minor bugs at this
point in the cycle, though keep an eye on any you find as we move
towards Alpha and Beta.

I've left Desktop testing out for now, as Johann suggested that we may
need to re-organize our approach due to the Fedora.next changes.
Installation and Base testing should give us enough to be going along
with :)

Thanks everyone!