new f19/f20 images

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Apr 17 14:31:14 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 03:11:38PM +0200, drago01 wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 3:02 PM, Chuck Anderson <cra at wpi.edu> wrote:

> >> 1) They can
> >> 2) Live images are not supposed be used for production ..
> >
> > 1) Sure if you have a persistent live image on a USB I suppose.  But
> > with CD/DVD media, you cannot update and then reboot as is necessary
> > to fix the issue.  You can manually restart all processes/services
> > that were linked against the old openssl I suppose, but you would have
> > to go through this dance after every single boot to remove this
> > vulnerability.
>
> Which service do we install and run by default that uses OpenSSL and
> is configured to use SSL on the live media?
> -> Answer is none.
>
> > 2) Live images could be used to rescue/repair a production
> > environment,
>
> See above.
>
> > or could be used as a client to access a production
> > environment.  For example one could be using "curl" which is linked
> > against the bad openssl.
>
> curl is a client.

Clients ARE affected:

http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/55119/does-the-heartbleed-vulnerability-affect-clients-as-severely

Does anaconda or yum use OpenSSL?  Because then "yum updates" and
"liveinst" are potentially affected.

Does libvirt/virt-manager/virt-viewer use OpenSSL?  Because I could
certainly see a sysadmin using a Live image to run
virt-manager/virt-viewer to connect over the network via SSL to a
hypervisor.

Do VNC/RDP clients use OpenSSL?  rdesktop is linked against an OpenSSL
library.  It may be possible to exploit it.

> > We shouldn't leave our users exposed if they
> > decide to use a live image, especially since I don't think it is
> > documented anywhere that "these images are unsuitable for use in a
> > production environment".
>
> There are unsuitable by their very nature of being live images.

Why are we shipping unsuitable software then?