KDE4.13 initial == SSS LLL OOO WWW !!!!!

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 19 05:06:47 UTC 2014

First login after yum upgrade taking KDE from 4.12.90 to 4.13 took many
minutes for the desktop to populate, first waiting on a warning that power
management configuration module could not be loaded to appear, then disappear
(shouldn't be necessary, as xorg.conf as is usual on my installations has
dpms disabled). Thinking this could be a first instance of baloo taking over
for (disabled) nepomuk, I logged out, and cleared all kde files from wherever
in $HOME they could be found, with the exception of baloofilerc, in which I
put Indexing-Enabled=false before logging into KDE the second time. It did
not help. Something is radically wrong with first starts. I went into
systemsettings -> energy saving to try to run dim screen up to maximum value
and uncheck the other boxes as I usually do, and there's a big red X over a
gray screen with the same cannot load module message, but clicking the X has
no effect. I tried rebooting into the 3.15.0rc1 kernel (and slub_debug=-) ,
and it refused every attempt until "sync && reboot -f", which left lots of
orphans for subsequent fsck to fix.

Now since rebooting, logging into KDE is down to a respectable for 2.8GHz P4
and i915G video 20-24 seconds.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/