kernel-3.15 series fail to load gnome desktop

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 19 16:41:50 UTC 2014

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 08:22:49 -0700
Tom London <selinux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 3:16 PM, poma <pomidorabelisima at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 17.04.2014 23:54, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:

> > > Testing.  Makes the released product much better. Now, why does
> > > all of your remove plymouth modules fix the problem?
> > >

> > What exactly do you test. How do you make the released product much
> > better?
> >

> > poma
> >

> > --
> >

> I also had not been able to get a 3-15 kernel to boot-up/display the
> Gnome desktop (Lenovo X200, Intel graphics).
>
> I had tried my usual tricks:
> 1. boot with enforcing=0
> 2. switch to a VT, run "telinit 3" and then "telinit 5".
>
> I noticed that "ps" seemed to be reporting that all was well: all the
> obvious processes were running, but I did notice more than the usual
> number of pulseaudio processes.
>
> I also noticed shutdown hanging on "saving sound state" (or some
> such).
>
> I tried again with the latest  kernel
> (kernel-3.15.0-0.rc1.git4.1.fc21.x86_64), and when I reached the
> "black screen" state, I switch to a VT, and as root killed all the
> pulseaudio processes ('killall -9 pulseaudio'). Within about 5-10
> seconds, I got the gdm-greeter login screen. System hung (black
> screen) again after entering password, so I switched to VT and again
> killed the pulseaudio processes with 'killall -9 pulseaudio'.
> Apparently the "new ones" were spawned by login process.
>
> Lo and behold, got my gnome desktop (of course, no sound).
>
> I have absolutely no idea what relationship pulsaudio/sound has to
> gdm/gnome/shutting down.
>
> Anyone have any ideas/thoughs?
>
> tom

I tried to downgrade pulseaudio to a know working version with kernels
3.14 series.  With latest 3.15 kernel, no change in behavior.  I looked
for kernel bzs a couple of days ago but didn't see anything.  Are you
aware of any bzs? Thinking maybe I'll start one for the kernel with the
idea it will get some more folks looking at the problem.