kernel-3.15 series fail to load gnome desktop

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 21 18:33:20 UTC 2014

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 13:42:12 -0400
"Clyde E. Kunkel" <clydekunkel7734 at verizon.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 09:12:09 -0700
> Tom London <selinux at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > ><snip>
> >
> > The tt (and the liked lkml thread) describes a simpler solution.
> >
> > The issue appears to be not with pulseaudio per se, but with the
> > handling of USB audio devices.
> >
> > Since my only USB audio device is a Logiteck webcam (per the
> > ticket), all I had to do is unplug it and the system now boots to
> > gdm/Gnome just fine.
> >
> > tom
>
> OK, same here.  However, isn't this still a pulseaudio issue since
> the webcam is certainly not usable unplugged?

Looking at my install history, I first had the problem on April 3 with
kernel 3.15.  Pulseaudio was not updated until April 12.  Kernel 3.14
continued to work ok with the newer pulseaudios while 3.15 didn't work
with older or newer version. So, there was some kind of change that may
or may not be associated with kernel 3.15. Systemd last updated Mar
26, so this does not seem to be causative.

So, what changed in the kernel from 3.14 to 3.15?