what in fedora rawhide replaces "pdftk" for extracting pages from PDF file?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Apr 23 00:39:23 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 12:37:26AM +0200, drago01 wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 11:49 PM, Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 07:30:35PM +0000, Jack Peirce wrote:
> >>
> >> No, that's just the way pdfseparate works. Separates into individual files
> >>
> >> May not be ideal, but you can use pdfunite with it to achieve what
> >> you're trying to do.
> >
> > What if you are trying to do those other things that pdftk is capable
> > of doing and they are not just splitting and joining pages?
>
> Port pdftk to openjdk? Not sure why it depends on gcj didn't look at
> it in detail.

I am not sure if there is really anything to port.  At
http://www.pdflabs.com/docs/install-pdftk-on-redhat-or-centos/
you can find pdftk-2.02-1.el6.src.rpm.  I do not now about rawhide
but out of curiosity I tried on a Fedora 20 installation:

   rpmbuild --rebuild pdftk-2.02-1.el6.src.rpm

That whines profusely, as to be expected from a thingy using Java,
but after a not so long while it produces

   pdftk-2.02-1.fc20.x86_64.rpm
   pdftk-debuginfo-2.02-1.fc20.x86_64.rpm

A spec for all this is somewhat broken as every single file, with an
exception of .../man1/pdftk.1.gz, gets installed with -rwxr-xr-x
permissions.  This is trivially fixable.  OTOH after light testing
pdftk binary seems to work just fine and it appears to be somwewhat
faster then the one from pdftk-1.44-11.fc19.x86_64 (the last one
available on Fedora 64-bits mirrors) although I did not try to do any
measurements.

Oh, and even in a limited application pdfseparate/pdfunite quickly
becomes a major PITA if your source file has more than nine pages.
Extracting some pieces from a few hundreds pages long text could become
"interesting".

    Michal

p.s. URL above has also links to ready binaries for RHEL5, RHEL6,
CentOS5 and CentOS6.  I would be a bit leery to install those "as is"
but in any case they are there.