Draft 'test outline' for Server product (what will be the broad scope of Server testing?)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Apr 24 23:16:45 UTC 2014

Hi, folks. So at last week's QA and Server meetings, I assigned myself
to come up with what I then referred to as a 'test plan' for the Server
product (and a couple of other folks to do it for Workstation and
Cloud).

I've written it now, but it occurred to me that what we really wanted
(and what I actually wrote, which I *hope* are the same thing :>) wasn't
really strictly speaking a test plan, but what I've decided to refer to
as a 'test outline'. Here it is, in rough form:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_Server_test_outline

I think this is more a planning document than it'll ever be a working
one; what I expect we'll end up with is some more test cases and test
matrices, and maybe a formal test plan of the kind we kinda gave up
writing for old-Fedora when it became more busywork than anything
productive. But I think this is a necessary step on the road to reaching
that point.

What I've tried to do is look at the documents that define what the
Server product will be - the Product Requirements Document and the
Technical Specification - and derive from those what are the key areas
that will require test coverage, both specific to Server and not
specific to it. I'm hoping that if we can have similar 'outlines'
covering Workstation and Cloud, we will be able to see the shape of just
how much testing F21 will require overall (at least in an ideal world)
and then we can start to draw up a plan for actually doing that testing,
and how we structure that work (whether it's under the auspices of QA or
the working groups or some combination of the two or some entirely new
structure we want to come up with).

Hope this is useful! Please do yell if you want to query any of the
specific points in my draft, or the overall approach I'm suggesting
here, or well anything at all, really, this is all new to all of us :)
Thanks!