Draft 'test outline' for Server product (what will be the broad scope of Server testing?)

Mike Ruckman roshi at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 25 18:50:27 UTC 2014

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 16:16:45 -0700
Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi, folks. So at last week's QA and Server meetings, I assigned myself
> to come up with what I then referred to as a 'test plan' for the
> Server product (and a couple of other folks to do it for Workstation
> and Cloud).
>
> I've written it now, but it occurred to me that what we really wanted
> (and what I actually wrote, which I *hope* are the same thing :>)
> wasn't really strictly speaking a test plan, but what I've decided to
> refer to as a 'test outline'. Here it is, in rough form:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_Server_test_outline
>
> I think this is more a planning document than it'll ever be a working
> one; what I expect we'll end up with is some more test cases and test
> matrices, and maybe a formal test plan of the kind we kinda gave up
> writing for old-Fedora when it became more busywork than anything
> productive. But I think this is a necessary step on the road to
> reaching that point.
>
> What I've tried to do is look at the documents that define what the
> Server product will be - the Product Requirements Document and the
> Technical Specification - and derive from those what are the key areas
> that will require test coverage, both specific to Server and not
> specific to it. I'm hoping that if we can have similar 'outlines'
> covering Workstation and Cloud, we will be able to see the shape of
> just how much testing F21 will require overall (at least in an ideal
> world) and then we can start to draw up a plan for actually doing
> that testing, and how we structure that work (whether it's under the
> auspices of QA or the working groups or some combination of the two
> or some entirely new structure we want to come up with).
>
> Hope this is useful! Please do yell if you want to query any of the
> specific points in my draft, or the overall approach I'm suggesting
> here, or well anything at all, really, this is all new to all of us :)
> Thanks!

I was the one who volunteered to handle the cloud Test Plan - initial
draft is located here [0]. I like the overall logic of the test outline
(though I worked off of the older Test Plans for my draft) - I'll start
working on a Test Outline for cloud now that I know that's the direction
we're looking at.

// Mike

[0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Roshi/QA/Cloud_Docs/Test_Plan