Nasty Habits in Replying to Emails

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Apr 25 20:19:10 UTC 2014

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014, Scott Robbins wrote:

> > On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 4:10 PM, Mickey <binarynut at comcast.net> wrote:
> > > Gentleman!!! when replying to a email LEAVE the contents of the orignal
> > > poster intact so the next person that reads the email can read what the
> > > poster had to say.
>
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 08:39:00PM +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I suggest you read and take note of the Guidelines document at
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
>
> This is another link I frequently give people who are unfamiliar with
> typical tech list posting style.
>
> howto-pages.org/posting_style/
>
> It is worth mentioning though, that one should try to not be overly
> aggressive when trimming, because, as the OP did state, sometimes,
> important information can be missed.
>
> It's usually a judgement call, and over trimming can be as bad as
> not trimming enough, but...

  i've been through these arguments for years, and i've reduced my
argument to something like this:

  potentially thousands of people are going to read your post -- for
the love of mutt, take that extra minute or two to make sure you're
clear and concise, and don't make your readers work to figure out what
you're trying to say.

  and don't be a dick.  that, too.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca