Draft 'test outline' for Server product (what will be the broad scope of Server testing?)

Mike Ruckman roshi at fedoraproject.org
Sat Apr 26 02:04:35 UTC 2014

On Sat, 26 Apr 2014 00:10:22 +0000
"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Just keep those test matrix and test cases along with their own
> >> release criteria within the relevant WG's product wiki space and
> >> once those are ready we remove the overlapping bits from the
> >> "general" release criteria and test matrix if any ( which most
> >> likely will just boil down to anything in relation the workstation
> >> WG )
> >>
> >> And there is nothing to decide on whom will be doing all that
> >> testing
> >>
> >> It's their product, they designed it, they maintain it, they test
> >> it, they release it.
> >>
> >> Yes it's really that simple...
> > Well, no it isn't. "They" are part of the Fedora project. So are
> > "we", and we're allegedly the bit that's responsible for quality
> > assurance.
>
> It was just matter of time that you change tunes of lack of resources
> and started chanting in having us do all their work but facts remains
> facts our obligation is to the installer, core and base.
>
> Anything built on top of that is not ours to cover but relevant
> service sub community or WG if you prefer.
>
> In the end of the day nobody knows the product better then those who
> built it and whom better to test it then those same persons.
>
> JBG

There's a bit of a misnomer here - Fedora QA isn't the only
team doing testing. As far as I can tell, there are already several
groups that also are testing (updates, DE's, etc, etc.). I don't
think it will be any different with .next.

I think we'll see more collaboration between the different teams as
things move forward. It's not so much an "Us" vs "Them"
thing when it comes to testing .next, more of an opportunity for us as
Fedora QA to help coordinate testing across the different WGs and
help facilitate a smooth testing experience across the board.

From working with the Cloud WG, I haven't gotten even a whiff of the
impression the plan is to create a thing and dump it on QA waiting
for "testing" to happen - and I don't think any of the other WGs are
working under that assumption either. Everyone involved in .next wants
to produce solid products and from what I've seen everyone knows
testing of those products is involved.

I know I haven't been around long, but from what I've seen we have a
really solid team across the Fedora Project that will work together to
make things happen and produce a well tested, solid release for Fedora
21 (in all it's flavors).

// Mike