Nasty Habits in Replying to Emails

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Apr 27 17:23:06 UTC 2014

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 17:04:09 +0200,
   Karel Volný <kvolny at redhat.com> wrote:
>Dne pátek, 25. dubna 2014 23:37:43 CEST, Adam Williamson  napsal(a):
>>In addition to what other people have said, there are people of more
>>than one gender reading this list...please be respectful.
>
>(ok, is that just my poor English allowing me to see the unintended
>meaning, or is that sentence ambiguous also for native speakers?)

People is being used as a collective set here. A set of people can have
more than one gender in it. If the person had really meant some individuals
had mutliple genders, then they would probably had said "persons" instead of
"people". Persons implies that each person is to be treated individually,
but that there are multiple individuals.

In practice it is still ambiguous.