Nasty Habits in Replying to Emails

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Apr 28 07:13:49 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-04-28 at 11:11 +1200, Gavin Flower wrote:
> On 28/04/14 03:53, Scott Robbins wrote:
> >> true hermaphrodites?
> >>
> >> K.
> >>
> >> (ok, is that just my poor English allowing me to see the unintended
> >> meaning, or is that sentence ambiguous also for native speakers?)
> > As a native speaker, yes, I can see it being ambiguous. Though, to be
> > honest, I didn't catch it until you pointed it out.
> > However, it is often non-native speakers who catch things like this.
> > This can be embarrassing when married to a non-native speaker.
> >
> Actually there are people with multiple distinct personalities, and some
> people have personalities with different genders.  This can be caused by
> extreme psychological abuse.
>
> Also about 0.5% (percentage varies according to definitions used) of
> children are born with genitalia that are not clearly identifiable as
> being definitely exactly one of the two standard sexes (male & female).
> Some of characteristics of both.
>
> There are also people who are born definitely male physically, they get
> married have children, then feel that they are really female and have an
> operation to change their physical genitalia.
>
> Gender is far more complicated than most people realize, and there are
> more variations and combinations than I have outlined above!

Sure, but...we're now way, way, way, way off topic. I acknowledge my
initial wording was technically ambiguous, but I'd hope the meaning was
clear (as Leon correctly explained, I was suggesting it's not a good
idea to start a post with simply "Gentlemen"). I don't think an advanced
gender studies class is furthering the cause of Fedora in this
particular instance. :)