Consistent names changed yet again?

Dan Mossor danofsatx at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 03:18:30 UTC 2014

On 08/06/2014 03:23 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2014-08-06 11:43 (GMT-0500) Kevin Martin composed:
>
>> Hmm, I have biosdevname installed (and always have) and have never
>> put net.ifnames=0
>>  anywhere that I'm aware of.
>
> I've included net.ifnames=0 on installer cmdline for every distro I've
> installed for over a year. NAICT, Anaconda ignores it. I don't
> remember exactly how on Fedora I get eth0, possibly as a result of
> editing and renaming /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-XXXX to
> ifcfg-eth0, but from earlier installations carried forward into my
> Rawhides I do have the following also:
>
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 0 Oct  4  2013
> /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules
>
> I see on
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/
> that that name has inexplicably been replaced for systemd v209 & up by
> 80-net-setup-link.rules.
For the record, nmcli will do this without breaking a sweat. For example:

[root at g55 ~]# nmcli con edit ed0fea4d-ed28-4fdb-9a8c-c131bd78d030

===| nmcli interactive connection editor |===

Editing existing '802-3-ethernet' connection:
'ed0fea4d-ed28-4fdb-9a8c-c131bd78d030'

Type 'help' or '?' for available commands.
Type 'describe [<setting>.<prop>]' for detailed property description.

You may edit the following settings: connection, 802-3-ethernet
(ethernet), 802-1x, ipv4, ipv6
nmcli> print connection
['connection' setting values]
connection.id:                          p3p1
connection.uuid: ed0fea4d-ed28-4fdb-9a8c-c131bd78d030
connection.interface-name:              --
connection.type:                        802-3-ethernet
connection.autoconnect:                 no
connection.timestamp:                   1407336689
connection.read-only:                   no
connection.permissions:
connection.zone:                        home
connection.master:                      --
connection.slave-type:                  --
connection.secondaries:
connection.gateway-ping-timeout:        0
nmcli> set connection.id eth0
nmcli> set connection.interface-name eth0
nmcli> save
Connection 'eth0' (ed0fea4d-ed28-4fdb-9a8c-c131bd78d030) sucessfully saved.
nmcli> quit
[root at g55 ~]#

reboot when that is done, it will now be eth0 forever and ever, amen. A
word of caution, however - do not do this if you have already set up
other connections that depend on it, because they will still be looking
for the former devname - which brings up a feature request. Maybe
NetworkManager should have bridge, bond, and VPN connection masters
and/or slaves either use the UUID for the identifier, or update the link
in the underlying DB when IDs are changed.

--
Dan Mossor
Systems Engineer at Large