Evaluating MozTrap as a TCMS for Fedora QA

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 13 12:54:10 UTC 2014

Hi, folks!

Shortly before Flock I came across Mozilla's current TCMS, MozTrap, and
thought it might make a good candidate for a new TCMS for Fedora.
Mozilla's production deployment is at https://moztrap.mozilla.org/ ,
their staging deployment (with newer code and a less overwhelming test
database) is at https://moztrap.allizom.org/ , and the source is at
https://github.com/mozilla/moztrap .

We spent a few hackfest hours at Flock doing a preliminary evaluation of
MozTrap. We certainly didn't make any decisions yet, but we at least
span up some test instances and played around with it a little. So far
we've found some really nice things, some that seem a bit awkward or
messy, and some where we might need to send some patches (e.g.
integrating with FAS / OpenID).

We used a Piratepad to take rough notes during one of the hackfests:
http://piratepad.net/FedoraMozTrap

We also chatted to some of the upstream developers, who are available in
#moztrap on Mozilla IRC, and they seem open minded and willing to take
suggestions and patches, which is great.

Mike and Tim I think are planning to set up a sandbox deployment in "The
Cloud" somewhere - something quick and dirty and not suitable for
production, just available so we can play with the system in a shared
deployment. In the meantime, if you want to check it out, it's pretty
easy to set up a local deployment following this guide:

http://moztrap.readthedocs.org/en/latest/installation.html

what you get is not remotely suitable for opening to non-local access
(it's very insecure and would give poor performance) but it works fine
for local testing.

I'd be interested to hear what people think! My gut instinct is we're
getting to the limit of what we can do with our mediawiki-TCMS system,
and MozTrap is the best option for replacing it we've seen so far, but
we should look into it more before making any decisions.