What's wrong with Fedora 21 GNOME?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Aug 27 20:02:12 UTC 2014

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 19:27:01 +0200
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 09:06:47 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
> > > Rawhide has broken into pieces regularly before that. It's still a
> > > dumping ground, where packagers release builds they haven't even
> > > tried to start themselves.
> >
> > Well, I have been running rawhide full time here, and I wouldn't say
> > that. There has been breakage, but IMHO it's all be reasonably minor
> > and easy to work around. Perhaps it's more so with your HW?
>
> There's no reason to believe my HW is the culprit.

You're right. IMHO, there's not enough information here for me
speculate.

> > Without more details it's hard to say more here...
>
> The primary problem with Rawhide and repository mirror propagation
> times is: you can get the "wrong" builds, e.g. a set of updates that
> breaks your system, while developers (or packagers) have submitted a
> new build (or even a hot-fix) already that is supposed to fix a
> problem after the next compose.

So you get it in the next compose?

If a maintainer noticed the problem before the build went out in a
compose, you would only see the fixed one. If they saw it only after
the compose, you should see the fixed one after that?

> But you don't receive that one fast
> enough, or you get a mix of "bad" updates while those that can update
> daily without delays probably won't see the problem. Similarly, if
> one doesn't update daily, there's the risk that one updates an
> installation at a "wrong" point of time and receives the bad stuff.

I usually do update daily, but at times I do not. I didn't update for a
week or so around flock, and had no particular problems.
I have another rawhide machine at home that I sometimes don't update
for days/weeks at a time anymore, and it's only had the occasional dep
issue that was pretty easy to fix up/work around.

Anyhow, if you have suggestions for improvement, I'm all ears.

kevin