X-GNOME-SingleWindow=true

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Thu Aug 28 14:06:50 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-08-28 at 15:46 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Seems we (at Fedora) need to take action then and modify the .desktop
> files appropriately and request the modification to be applied
> upstream,
> too. Not all upstreams use the GNOME Shell, and not all upstreams
> would
> learn about the needed/useful desktop file modification either.

The heuristic to decide whether to show the New Window button is
implemented in such a way that it's probably going to guess correctly
for non-GNOME apps. Off the top of my head, I think we assume that New
Window will work unless the app is a single-instance app using
GtkApplication (I'm not aware of any non-GNOME app that fits this bill).
These apps are supposed to provide their own New Window option in the
app menu for it to be possible to create a new window anyway, and GNOME
Terminal unfortunately named it New Terminal instead of New Window,
which confused the heuristic.

Or something like that. TL;DR: don't worry about it. Probably.

Cheers,

Michael