the tragedy of Fedora Live USB conversion and what we can do about it

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 29 09:21:14 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-08-04 at 04:24 -0400, Kamil Paral wrote:

> Even though luc has so many issues, and even though our Fedora wiki
> guide [1] no longer lists is as the first option, I had the notion
> that it was already *the tool* recommended by default. Because
> fedoraproject.org only links to our docs page [2], where it is the
> first tool mentioned for both Linux and Windows users. Unfortunately I
> don't see fp.o linking to [1] anywhere.
>
> So maybe this is something we could easily improve on? Let's make
> those USB writing instructions a bit more visible (because nowadays,
> USB booting really concerns at least every other person). And if we're
> sure we don't want to recommend luc, let's put there the "quick start"
> method from [1] at least for Windows, i.e. recommending
> dd-alternatives like "SUSE Studio ImageWriter or Rawrite32". Could we
> do something about duplication of [1] and [2]? Maybe link to [1]
> instead of [2] from fp.o?
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB
> [2] http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/20/html/Installation_Guide/Making_USB_Media.html

So, I edit the wiki because, well, it's easy - I hit 'edit' and edit it
and it's done. (The flip side of this is that every six months or so I
notice someone's edited it with some wacky notion or other and I have to
go and try to diplomatically remove / de-emphasize that). To edit the
doc guide I'd have to go and deal with docbook and come up with a git
patch and submit it for review by docs team, which isn't really a
terribly high bar but is still harder than 'edit wiki page, now you're
done', especially when wiki syntax is more or less tattooed into my
brain.

but yeah, it does kind of suck to have both, but I understand the docs
team's reluctance to kill the docs guide when the wiki is a bit more
'wild west'ish. Not sure what the best choice would be - probably it'd
be good to get the two singing from more or less the same hymn sheet, in
the short term.