I don't believe what I just saw ...

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 17:23:12 UTC 2014

So after a bit of live CD jiggery pokery, I was able to run through an
F21 RC5 installation.  I installed it in a separate logical volume,
alongside my existing F20 installation.  /boot is a shared ext4
partition on top of my IMSM RAID volume.  I still use GRUB legacy, so I
told anaconda not to install a bootloader.

After the F21 installation completed, I was unable to boot back to F20.
GRUB still worked, but the initramfs was unable to find the F20 root
filesystem, which is an LV on top of a bcache device.

After a bit of investigation, it appears that the F21 installer rebuilt
all of the F20 initramfs files on the shared /boot (and omitted the
bcache dracut module).

Of all the anaconda weirdness I've experienced over the years, this has
got to be the strangest thing I've seen.  In fact, I have a hard time
believing the evidence of my own eyes.  Why would it do this?

Am I crazy?  Anyone else seen this?  Expected behavior?