rfc: expectations for partitioning, Fedora.next

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Feb 21 21:56:41 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 14:47 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:

> What is in common for Server and Workstation? They have to boot, and
> startup to a working prompt or gdm. That's all the installer needs to
> do to be successful. Goose. Gander. Good.

> I think we shoot ourselves in both feet by creating derivatives of the
> installer. Maybe it's realistic to have each product decide what, if
> anything, is hidden. But we are only talking about two products. The
> Cloud product will have images, installer isn't applicable.
>
> > Even then, if we were able to trim the installation options to one or
> > two options, those options aren't going to be the same across WGs.
>
> Heavens to Betsy we might have to have FESCo host an arm wrestle! I'd pay for that if we add mud.
>
> Server folks might want XFS, to be in parity with RHEL 7. I don't know
> why that would bother Workstation folks, XFS is just fine for that use
> case too. I'd say Workstation should do what Server does, unless all
> outstanding Btrfs concerns and questions are fully and satisfactorily
> addressed by the flip date.
>
> For Manual/custom path it needs some more consideration but I'd say no
> Server or Workstation derivatives. Rename it Advanced Partitioning (or
> Advanced Storage Configuration since it really isn't about
> partitioning as much as oldui).  And then we see how realistic and
> helpful it is to hide certain features. The challenge there it's not
> any one particular tick box that makes it hard, it's when used in
> combination that things get complicated. Example, for rootfs I'd say
> do not expose raid 4 or 6. Maybe even don't expose raid 5 at this
> default reveal level for rootfs, only for /home. That sort of thing.

I think just chewing the cud about this on test@ is kind of pointless at
this point; we're all aware of the issues and the general goal of 'make
it simpler'. I think we need to be talking to other teams about it. See
the message I just cross-posted to a bunch of lists with the topic
"[Base] Fedora Base Design Working Group (2014-02-21) meeting minutes
and logs".