rfc: expectations for partitioning, Fedora.next

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun Feb 23 01:33:17 UTC 2014

On Feb 22, 2014, at 1:57 AM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 16:55:56 -0700
> Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
>
>> and the user gets to
>> choose a couple of variations: encryption, and a way to reuse an
>> existing /home.
>>

> Personally,
> I wouldn't be happy with too restrictive.
>
> home lan setup
>
> I setup "fresh install" Desktops with a min of four hds'
> One partition per hd
> /boot + 2mb boot bios (or whatever it's called) ssd
> /
> /home + hd for each extra user if required
> swap
>
> installed non LVM, ext4 luks
>
> I can use 10-20 per server. (raid1)
>
> # I've been hearing for years storage is cheap.

The context of what you quoted from me above is the Automatic/guided path. I can't tell you how Automatic partitioning works with four disks, but it definitely doesn't do raid1.

However, it's an interesting data point that your installations involved a minimum of four hard drives. That's really unheard of on Windows or OS X - which I include only to underscore how rare a configuration it is, not whether it's right or wrong. I really wish we had more data on how people are configuring their servers and workstations, or want to. The bootable raid1 case is actually fragile due to the use of mdadm version 0.9 metadata; and also there's a regression on UEFI computers that makes it decently likely the system can't be (re)booted degraded. So if there's merit in bootable (rootfs on) degraded raid1 or 10 or 5, some work needs to be done.

Chris Murphy