time jumping back

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun Feb 23 02:26:25 UTC 2014

On Feb 22, 2014, at 3:52 PM, Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:

> This other box is running on a quite different, much newer, hardware and
> although this is also Fedora 20 with the same kernel it is using chrony
> for a time synchronization.  Stopping it and starting corrected that
> time but once again I had to use hwclock to bring BIOS from the past.

Time is confusing. There have been changes in the past year to the kernel for keeping system time correct including a recent patch set in December that affects EFI machines. Anyway, it's likely you'll find conflicting information on how things are supposed to work depending on how current the source is.

Use 'timedatectl status' to show local, system, RTC times and other info. There is also a GRUB2 date command that shows rtc time, and can also be used to set it. I'd make sure those two agree with each other.

Are either of the problemed computers put to sleep or powered down? It might be that their RTC isn't keeping proper time when in suspend or powered off. So I'd try to find out what else is happening that correlates to the time becoming wrong in the first place.

Chris Murphy