rfc: expectations for partitioning, Fedora.next

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 23 02:33:33 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-22 18:49 (GMT-0700) Chris Murphy composed:

>> "This crappy partioning GUI in the installer is does not give me the amount of control on partitioning desired by me."

> I don't understand this. It's the most capable GUI partitioner + OS installer I've ever encountered, and I've used quite a few installers, yet maybe I'm missing something obvious?

openSUSE? Nothing else comes close. To start with, it doesn't need even 500M
RAM to run. I've used it not so long ago on 384M, and seen anecdotes of
needing as little as 128M or 160M with swap available not so long ago. It's
built on the same YaST2 that's used for configuration in live installations.
Practically nothing is impossible in its installer GUI that's possible in its
live system configuration GUI. WRT GUI software selection during
installation, everything else is several orders of magnitude behind openSUSE.
I can't give full details about using its partitioner during installation,
because I use a proprietary partitioner to prepare all to be used in advance
of installation 99.6% of the time. It's easy to use to configure RAID, and to
select mount points and mount options, with a tree configuration that doesn't
confound by inexplicably repeating the same partitions under various
anti-sorted individual and grouped names the way Anaconda does.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/