time jumping back

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 16:20:08 UTC 2014

On 23.02.2014 04:47, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2014, at 8:16 PM, Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 07:26:25PM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>>
>>> Are either of the problemed computers put to sleep or powered down? It
>>> might be that their RTC isn't keeping proper time when in suspend or
>>> powered off.
>>
>> Well, no.  As I said they are "remotes" and they are practically always
>> on.  They were not powered down when these jumps happened.  Logs would
>> look quite different if this would be the case.
>>
>> One of these runs on a hardware which is about six-seven years old,
>> the newer one went into a service about two years ago.
>>
>>> So I'd try to find out what else is happening that
>>> correlates to the time becoming wrong in the first place.
>>
>> I did spent quite a bit of time this morning trying to find out some
>> possible candidates for triggers but came back empty.  As I said - I am
>> not aware of anything of that sort happening ever before.  It is hard
>> to say anything about such, hopefully, rare event.  That is why I asked
>> if anybody else got hit by something like that.  As for this moment
>> both boxes maintain a very precise time.
>
> It's not much to go on. This has happened on two computers, one with ntpd and one with chrony. Did they both get the wrong time at about the same time (as each other)? Is it still happening occasionally or is this so for a one off event for each?

$ man 1 timedatectl
set-local-rtc [BOOL]
Takes a boolean argument. If "0", the system is configured to maintain
the RTC in universal time. If "1", it will maintain the RTC
in local time instead. Note that maintaining the RTC in the local
timezone is not fully supported and will create various problems
with time zone changes and daylight saving adjustments. If at all
possible, keep the RTC in UTC mode. Note that invoking this will
also synchronize the RTC from the system clock, unless
--adjust-system-clock is passed (see above). This command will change the
3rd line of /etc/adjtime, as documented in hwclock(8).

$ timedatectl
 RTC in local TZ: no

poma