rfc: expectations for partitioning, Fedora.next

Dan Mossor dan.mossor at outlook.com
Mon Feb 24 14:24:34 UTC 2014

On 02/22/2014 09:57 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> But partitioning, RAID, and LVM wise, I'm not seeing what I can do with openSUSE expert partitioning that I can't do with anaconda. However, on anaconda, I can create RAID 4 arrays, which seems unnecessary.
>
> Anyway, there's sufficient duplicative effort between then openSUSE and Fedora installers when it comes to ninja partitioning I'm not really understanding why they don't share an upstream project. And why they prevent their users from leveraging these capabilities to create storage outside of an OS install context, and for making modifications to existing storage. They aren't as pretty as gparted, but do a lot more. It's a lot of wheels being reinvented.
>

> Chris Murphy

For one thing, openSUSE allowed me to restrict an LV to one PV. Anaconda
tried to take the total remaining disk space across both the SSD and mag
HD and lump it into one LV. I searched for a while within anaconda, and
the option to do just that could not be found. If I can't find it, I
don't expect "normal" users to look beyond a glance, and say it's broken
off the bat.

Dan

--
Dan Mossor