time jumping back

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Tue Feb 25 10:12:49 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 01:00:11PM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> Two different computers. One runs ntpd, the other chronyd. So it's probably not a hardware problem, and it's probably not a software bug in the client. Were they pointed at the same time server by any chance? I'm not sure how either ntpd or chronyd deal with bogus or corrupt data.
>
> I think you either treat it as a weird one off event, or see about setting ntpd and chronyd logleve to debug, and then if it happens again maybe you'll get enough information to know what's going on.

Are there any interesting messages in syslog near that jump? Both
ntpd and chronyd in their default configuration log a message when
they step the clock, but chronyd steps the clock only on start. Also,
chronyd will log a message if it detects that something else has
stepped the clock backwards.

--
Miroslav Lichvar