time jumping back

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Feb 25 23:18:17 UTC 2014

On Feb 25, 2014, at 1:03 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's what might be a big clue:
> Just after the hunk of prehistoric lines, when we get back to Feb, the 1st thing
> I see is:
>
> Feb 25 12:07:55 nbecker7 rsyslogd-2177: imjournal: begin to drop messages due to
> rate-limiting
> Feb 25 12:18:40 nbecker7 rsyslogd-2177: imjournal: 145977 messages lost due to
> rate-limiting
>
> Seems very suspicious to me.

My understanding is that everything goes into the journal. And rsyslogd directly reads either journal logs or streams (I forget which). So if you can compare journalctl and messages for these times, maybe the journal has more information about what was submitting so many messages.

> journalctl doesn't seem to show time warps.

That is a good sign. Also journald will report if logs are corrupt. You can also do:

# journalctl --verify

Hmm, now I just did a verify and I get some "File corruption detected" messages, yet no reports of corruption in the log reported by systemd-journald itself. That's curious… And I'm also using Btrfs. I didi previously find a journal corruption issue some months ago with Btrfs but that's long ago fixed. This could be a journal inconsistency, or could be due to crashes and not the file system.

Old thread:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/86206/journalctl-verify-reports-corruption

Chris Murphy