/var/log/messages is scrambled!

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Feb 26 04:54:48 UTC 2014

On Feb 25, 2014, at 12:45 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Running on btrfs (hopefully that doesn't matter)

If you haven't set xattr +C on /var/log/journal, then if you get a chance I'd be curious to see the results from:

journalctl --verify

btrfs scrub start -BR /

Depending on the size of the Btrfs volume the 2nd one could take a while. This particular command doesn't run in the background so it'll hog that shell instance until completion, but it also shows some additional information in particular csum_errors. If there are any, see if dmesg | grep -i btrfs reports any btrfs related errors that include a path to file, and if any of those files are journal files.

Since I'm using xattr +C on /var/log/journal at the moment, the logs don't have Btrfs checksums, so I don't have an independent way to know if the logs are corrupt at a file system level or just internally.

Chris Murphy