/var/log/messages is scrambled!

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Feb 27 06:10:15 UTC 2014

On 02/27/2014 06:43 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2014, at 9:24 AM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> sudo journalctl --verify
>> all say 'PASS'
>
> OK good news. It looks like some sort of throttling by rsyslogd. I'm vaguely curious if it's some runaway/annoyed process is dumping a lot of message into the journal, and whether the journal can keep up or if it's also affected and throttles.
Could it be (wild guess), rsyslogd and journald when being used
simultaneously, are having locking issues?

I am asking, because I am facing console freezes, which go away, when
switching off rsyslogd and console logging ("dmesg -D") on a small
memory system, which suffers from a kernel bug which raises a warning
approx. every second.

Ralf