/var/log/messages is scrambled!

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Feb 27 07:25:21 UTC 2014

On 02/27/2014 08:08 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-02-27 at 07:10 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>> OK good news. It looks like some sort of throttling by rsyslogd. I'm vaguely curious if it's some runaway/annoyed process is dumping a lot of message into the journal, and whether the journal can keep up or if it's also affected and throttles.
>
>> Could it be (wild guess), rsyslogd and journald when being used
>> simultaneously, are having locking issues?
>
> I really doubt it. The current rsyslog is explicitly designed to act as
> a journald consumer. That was the intent all along.

How about log-messages on the console?

The symptom I am struggling with is my console is freezing when journald
sent a message to the console.

Some weeks ago, I reported the details on some fp.org list (IRC users@),
but never received a satisfactory reply. So far, after weeks of
struggling my (so far seeingly working) work-around is to "yum remove
rsyslogd combined with "dmsg -D", without knowing the actual cause.

Ralf