Updated QA Join page

Mike Ruckman roshi at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jan 4 05:05:24 UTC 2014

Hey all! After some talking with danofsatx and looking through the
wiki, we thought the Join page could use a little de-wallification.

Dan and I have created an alternate page I propose we use instead. You
can see it on my user page [1]. The thought is for this page to be a
living document that changes as QA does. Please take a minute
to check it out and give us some feedback. Viking provided some feedback
earlier and had some reservations which I've noted below.

1 - Mentioning Triage (Bugzappers)
2 - Mentioning Stable releases (Proven Testers)
3 - Specifying people (Such as Tim Flink as contact for developing
tools)

1 & 2 Viking suggested we leave those two areas off the Join page
until it has been decided what to do with them. Testing and Triage go
hand in hand - so logically someone doing one would do both. Viking is
in the midst of figuring out a way to gracefully merge the two. I agree
testing and triage should be together - I just don't know about removing
any mention of them from the Join page.

While I think I understand the logic of removing mention of Bugzappers
and Proven Testers, I don't think we should remove mention of the
information contained within those areas of the wiki. Regardless the
status of those groups, we still need to test stable releases and
triage bugs - and we need new contributors to join in. It seems to me,
we should duplicate the information somewhere neutral. [2]

This allows the information to still be readily available to new
contributors, but lessens the chance of confusion regarding Bugzappers
and Proven Testers while their fate is decided.

As for reservation 3, the only fix I can think of is to add a new
"tools" group or "tools" position to refer to - which we would have to
put someone in charge of. From what I understand, QA has stayed away
from bureaucracy in the past
- so we wouldn't want a position to put people in. While mentioning
people by name has a higher maintenance cost, it does seem a simple
solution and keeps the organization of QA flat.

Regardless, if we remove mention of defunct groups and specific people,
we need to have a plan (which I'm more than willing to implement, once
it's decided) to get that information back to the page. It shouldn't be
removed and then forgotten.

Any thoughts or solutions would be great. Thanks and have a good
weekend!

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Roshi/QA/Join
[2] Just for the record, I'm not a fan of duplicating information
needlessly :)

// Roshi