'10 Years of Fedora' t-shirt

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jan 14 02:05:40 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-14 at 00:33 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 7:06 PM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>         On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 18:51:59 +0000
>         "Patrick O'Callaghan" <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>         > I got the original invitation several weeks ago and would
>         have been
>         > happy to receive a shirt, but the address form is only for
>         US
>         > residents. If the offer is restricted to the US it should
>         say so.
>         > Otherwise the form should be fixed. I've tried several times
>         to have
>         > this clarified. So far no-one has bothered to reply.
>         >
>         > poc
>

>         I'm not in the US
>         just filled in the form to suit.
>         Got the tee ust after new years.
>

> This is the form I was sent:
> https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1wh869sULZCYL3UpxV6-MSLRLhXYGzfpJTONJdzGYAZ8/viewform
>
> You will note that it asks for State and Zip Code info, neither of
> which apply to me (I live in the UK). All the same, I just tried again
> using a certain amount of creativity with these fields and the form
> was accepted, so we'll see.

I think that's the way to go. Ultimately what they're really asking you
is "where should I send this?" So long as what you enter is a good
answer to that question, you're probably going to be fine.

If I were you I'd put my postcode in the "ZIP code" field (obviously)
and whichever of 'county name' or 'metropolitan area name' (you know,
Greater London, Greater Manchester, that sort of thing) you normally
tend to include in your address in the "State" field.

In the vast majority of cases, BTW, all you need to ensure a piece of
mail is correctly delivered in the UK is the post code and then any data
at the level of the house number or above. (It might even get there just
with a postcode and a name if the friendly postie has been doing this
for a while and knows who lives where). The post code system is designed
so no post codes are reused in different areas of the country, and for
all but some very unusual addresses, the post code is specific to the
level of about a dozen units on a given street (so you share your
postcode with the closest half dozen or dozen or so houses on your
street, usually). The house number and anything like "apartment B",
"mailbox 34" is not provided by the post code. The more you know!

(Businesses can pay for access to the Post Office's databases for
mapping post codes to street addresses and vice versa.)