Did anyone's F20 system randomly "reboot" after updating from updates-testing just recently?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jan 16 04:08:41 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-16 at 14:29 +1100, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This just happened to me. I say "reboot" because it didn't actually
> reboot. It sort of closed everything that was running down and gave me a
> screen with a X shaped mouse on it. If I went to a virtual terminal and
> tried to login, I got a message on the lines of "System booting up,
> authentication failure" after I submitted my password.
>
> From journalctl, it looks like systemd "reloaded" and started the entire
> init process again?
>
> I'm pretty sure systemd shouldn't randomly restart. Could it be an
> update using wrong packaging scriptlets that caused systemd to "reboot"?

Well it's not necessarily "random". Some package updates trigger a
restart of the init system, intentionally. Obviously you'd hope the
running system would survive this, but it doesn't always. Can you
cross-reference with your dnf history to see what packages were in the
update transaction that ran at the time?