How do I disable edid check on kernel command line?

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 19:41:02 UTC 2014

On 01.07.2014 18:50, flashl at dailybrood.com wrote:
> Current Kernel is 3.14.9-200 x86_64. This is a multihead setup; i915 and
> NV96 video cards (displays HMDI2 = i915 and NV96 DVI-I-1 and VGA-2 [both
> X233H Acer]). kernel bootmenu is presented from DVI-I-1, after kernel
> selection, LUKS prompt appears on HMDI2 and DVI-I-1 is disconnected. In
> multi-user env HDMI2 and VGA-2 are active and dmesg shows edid complaint
> about DVI-I-1. /usr/bin/edid-decode complains about edid block for both
> NV96 displays DVI and VGA but for whatever reason DVI is only one
> disconnected.
>
> So far searches in various forum threads and bugzilla suggest buggy DVI
> edid problems been around for awhile. The DVI edid block error follows
> DVI connector, meaning, moving DVI cable to monitor previously with
> label VGA-2 will produce same edid message. I haven't found complete
> instructions to build CustomEdid yet, that seems the way to go since
> commandline settings like drm_edid_strict, video=DVI-I-1:e are ignored.
>
> Pointers to documentation to build customedid or kernel commandline to
> disable DVI edid checking will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=[<connector>:]<file>
		Broken monitors, graphic adapters and KVMs may
		send no or incorrect EDID data sets. This parameter
		allows to specify an EDID data set in the
		/lib/firmware directory that is used instead.
		Generic built-in EDID data sets are used, if one of
		edid/1024x768.bin, edid/1280x1024.bin,
		edid/1680x1050.bin, or edid/1920x1080.bin is given
		and no file with the same name exists. Details and
		instructions how to build your own EDID data are
		available in Documentation/EDID/HOWTO.txt. An EDID
		data set will only be used for a particular connector,
		if its name and a colon are prepended to the EDID
		name.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/EDID/HOWTO.txt

poma