[DRI3] Problems on old Intel GPUs

František Zatloukal zatloukal.frantisek at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 18:09:53 UTC 2014

Thanks for you tip Adam, but there isn't such option in driconf.
I remember there used to be an option to enable that when it was disabled
by default.

I believe it is nice idea to disable that features downstream but it needs
further testing if it'll improve with OpenGL 1.4 and won't introduce
regressions. E.g. I've read that Kwin 5 removed legacy (pre 2.0) OpenGL
backend. If there is no way to do it through driconf I'd try to patch and
compile it with just OpenGL 1.4 and do some testing.

On the other hand, I can try to write to mutter developers because this
problem doesn't exist in Kwin(even in OpenGL 2 mode), Compiz, Openbox...

And I doubt I can replace integrated GPU :), anyway, this graphics sucks
and it was weak and insufficient since it existed but there are lots of
computers (=netbooks) with this ancient HW and it is powerful enough for
some internet browsing.

> On Wed, 2014-07-02 at 18:08 +0200, František Zatloukal wrote:
> > It's difficult to run Fedora on old Intel graphics. From OpenGL 2.0
> > support in Mesa lot of apps and (especially wine) games became
> > unplayable because the hardware doesn't support OpenGL 2 fully and lot
> > of things are slower.
>
> On gen3 (915 / 945 / G33 / GMA3150) yeah, there's half-baked support for
> ARB_fragment_shader that tries to work but falls over on shaders that
> are too complicated because the hardware simply doesn't support long
> shader programs.  But upstream decided to do that because the
> alternative was users complaining that shaders didn't work at all...
>
> So yeah, sorry that your GPU is terrible, maybe get a better one.
> Alternatively there's driconf which lets you disable that, even at a
> per-app granularity so you can see if that's what gnome-shell is
> tripping over.  (Note that you'll need to restart shell to make the
> change take effect, either by logging out or doing Alt-F2 r)
>
> Though none of this matters for Felix' case, since the 8xx series GPUs
> (among their many many other flaws) don't have shader support at all.
> Turns out hardware's gotten a lot more sophisticated in the intervening
> 13 years since that design...
>
> - ajax
>
> --

*František Zatloukal*