has anyone added a brother MFC7460DN printer to their rawhide system?

Shawn Starr shawn.starr at rogers.com
Thu Jul 3 17:33:46 UTC 2014

On July 3, 2014 01:12:41 PM Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i've been fighting for the last couple of hours to add a network
> printer to my rawhide system. the shared work area where i hang out
> has a brother MFC7460DN printer on the network, at 192.168.2.126, and
> i've verified that i can ping it, so that's a start.

I have this exact printer.

Works fine here.

I used the RPMs from brother:

brother-udev-rule-type1-1.0.0-1.noarch.rpm
brscan4-0.4.2-1.x86_64.rpm
brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.x86_64.rpm
cupswrapperMFC7460DN-2.0.4-2.i386.rpm
mfc7460dnlpr-2.1.0-1.i386.rpm

>   i've read a few different alleged installation instructions which
> all seem to differ. what's the recommended recipe for this?
>
>   googling a while ago brought me here:
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=279494
>
> so i downloaded both lpr and cups rpm packages from brother and
> installed them. i'm not sure if i need to install "a2ps", and i'd
> rather not as it would drag down a ton of dependencies.
>
>   i've browsed to localhost:631 to see if i can add a printer there,
> but it seems that it sets up a new printer as if it's connnected via
> USB and not on the network.
>
>   i'm going to keep messing around, but if anyone out there has set up
> that printer (or something suitably similar), i'm open to guidance.
>
> rday

Come to IRC on Freenode, #fedora-qa and we can talk.

Thanks,
Shawn