Proposed generic release criterion: service manipulation

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 7 18:42:54 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-07-07 at 11:50 -0400, Richard Ryniker wrote:
> > It must be possible to start, stop, enable and disable system
> > services using the initialization framework's standard commands.
>
> This sounds like any service that fails (will not start, will not
> stop...) will block a release.

You're the second person to read it that way, so clearly I wrote it
wrong, but no, that is not the intention at all.

> Should there be a distinction between "critical" services that must work
> or block release, and lesser services that may fail and not block
> release?  For example, journald might be deemed critical, while sheepdog
> is not.

The intention is that the *mechanism* for manipulating services - that
is, at present, systemd - works to the extent specified. The criterion
assumes the notional service being manipulated is functional. In my
head, if I'd actually been writing the criterion you thought I was, I'd
have written something like "all system services in Fedora packages" or
"all system services on the release-blocking media" or something like
that - tied it to a *concrete* set of service scripts, not the entirely
abstract notion of "system services" that's in the current language.

Anyway, as I said, when two people read something wrong, I generally
figure I wrote it wrong, so - can anyone suggest wording that would make
this clearer?