(Rawhide users) Fedora 22 branching: What You Need To Know

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 10 20:33:45 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-07-10 at 04:45 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2014-07-10 01:03 (GMT+0700) Adam Williamson composed:
>
> > On Thu, 2014-07-10 at 03:48 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
>
> >> On 2014-07-09 23:37 (GMT-0700) Adam Williamson composed:

> >> # yum remove fedora-release-rawhide
>
> > Er. I said to remove 'fedora-repos-rawhide'.
>
> and ... "that replaced..."
>
> And I also wrote:
>
> # rpm -qa lease-h
> fedora-release-rawhide-21-0.7.noarch
>
> So now, as before I last wrote:
>
> # rpm -qa | grep fedora
> fedora-bookmarks-15-5.fc21.noarch
> fedora-logos-21.0.3-1.fc21.x86_64
> fedora-release-21-0.7.noarch
> fedora-release-rawhide-21-0.7.noarch
>
> I don't know how to remove a package that isn't installed, so I tried
> removing the package that supposedly got "replaced". :-p

Fair enough - I guess your mirror was a bit behind, or something, I got
the fedora-repos-rawhide package replacing fedora-release-rawhide
yesterday afternoon.

> > (Or just disable the repo.)
> > I said "from yum-utils". Run 'yum install yum-utils'.
>
> <aside>wonders how/why yum-utils ever doesn't get installed</aside>

It's not strictly needed, though 'yum-config-manager' comes under the
heading of 'more or less mandatory' for me...

> # yum-config-manager --disable rawhide
> (at least 70 lines of output, more than can fit on screen at once,
> none of which indicate any apparent degree of success disabling anything)

It does actually disable the repo. The 70 lines of output indicate
success. (At least, that's how it's always worked for me.) Yeah, this
isn't exactly optimal design. :P

> :-(
>
> ISTR many times in the past having trouble turning onto the fork instead of
> keeping on Rawhide, and solving the dilemma with something along the lines of:
>
> # rpm -e --nodeps fedora-release-rawhide
> # rpm -Uvh fedora-release-<post-fork>
>
> When I saw the post I replied to I thought finally the forking would no
> longer be vexing me.  :-(

I *think* this shouldn't be an issue with the new fedora-release split,
but I haven't read that whole thread or the spec files, so I can't be
definitive. I'll try and keep an eye on how it shakes out and keep the
wiki instructions up to date.