why is "journalctl" suddenly running rampant on my system?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Jul 11 11:25:40 UTC 2014

  from out of nowhere last night, i suddenly had six journalctl
processes running on my quad core, each one running at 99% CPU,
causing the cooling fans to be running full speed.

  and now this morning, the fans suddenly kick in again, i check,
there's two journalctl processes, again each one running at 99%.
is this something new? oh, wait, now there's three. and now dnf joins
the party at 98.9%, and fans are now running full speed. thoughts?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca