Proposed generic release criterion: service manipulation

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 18 21:43:41 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-07-18 at 15:01 -0400, David A. De Graaf wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 04, 2014 at 12:22:40PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >
> > System service manipulation
> >
> > It must be possible to start, stop, enable and disable system services
> > using the initialization framework's standard commands.
>
> Oh yes, that's perfect.
>
> Had this been applied to the most basic Linux command - 'reboot' -
> we might never have seen Fedora 18, 19, or 20.   :-)

Er, how do you mean?

We have a criterion covering reboot functionality already:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_20_Beta_Release_Criteria#Desktop_shutdown.2C_reboot.2C_logout

though I note there's a funny inconsistency - at Alpha we require
console-based shutdown to work, at Beta we require graphical shutdown,
logout and reboot to work, but we never explicitly require console
logout and reboot to work.

So, let me propose that we amend the beta criterion:

Shutdown, reboot and logout

Shutting down, logging out and rebooting must work using standard
console commands and the mechanisms offered (if any) by all
release-blocking desktops.

Thoughts?